2013 Kolache Festival is May 4 | Arts & Culture
The small community of Prague welcomes everyone to celebrate the birthday of the town and its Czech heritage at the 54th annual Kolache Festival on Saturday, May 4.
Come enjoy the festivities featuring beautiful and elaborately decorated Czech costumes, folk dancing, polka bands and food.
Activities start at 9:00 a.m. with a Czech Costume Contest followed by the Prague Czech Folk Dancers with continued entertainment at the grandstand throughout the day. A special attraction this year is the OU Sooner Schooner that will be in the 11:00 a.m. parade and then available for photos during the afternoon. OU Game Day attractions will also be set up at Ace Hardware.
A Hollywood movie crew will be at the festival filming, so you will have the opportunity to observe their work.
Many food booths lining Main Street will provide everything from Czech klobase, the Czech sweet roll kolaches with a fruit filled center, to barbecue meats, fried catfish, corndogs, roasted corn, to chocolate dipped bananas and cheesecake.
A large Arts & Crafts show will be set up in the park around the gazebo along with wine tasting booths and a cowboy singer for entertainment. Czech crystal and jewelry is available at park pavilion #2 and new this year is a Czech Genealogy booth featuring many books.
There is a carnival in town opening on Thursday night for a 3-day run for the young and young at heart to enjoy the many daring rides and games.
A Beer Garden is located by the Sonic and features all types of favorite music provided by a DJ.
Wine and beer makers as well as bread and kolache bakers are invited to submit their products in the Food & Drink Contest. Entries must be submitted at park pavilion #1 by 9:30 a.m.
The Czech Beseda dance is performed at 5 p.m. followed by the royalty crowning at 6 p.m. The new queen, junior queen and princess will be announced at this time. A Kolache Eating Contest will follow the crowning.
You won’t want to miss the Polka Street Dance at 7 p.m. featuring many types of folk dances, with music provided by our favorite band, Masupust. The dance is followed by a spectacular fireworks display at 10 p.m.
For further information about all the events visit the website www.praguekolachefestival.com or call the festival office at 405-567-4866.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stolen property bust leads to five other drug arrests
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- EMSA urging safety for kids sledding in record low temperatures
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes