Okla. doctor said mental ills need more attention | Crime
NORMAN, Okla. — While no mass shooting or tragedy can be compared to another, Dr. Farhan Jawed said shooters who carry out these crimes are often antisocial and in need of help from others.
“We should emphasize more in illnesses like depression, mania, psychosis, so that we can help these people at very young ages,” Jawed said.
Jawed has worked on a number of cases throughout his career and he’s even looked at the medical conditions that cause people to carry out crimes.
He said a person capable of an unspeakable act, like a school shooting, is often isolated and angry with society.
He said the crimes are often the only way the shooter feels he or she can make a statement.
“We have to put more and more emphasis on our children,” Jawed said. “Not only on their education but on their social and behavioral development. Many of these children that are already in an environment where they see violence and as the rate of violence is increasing these days, that becomes a natural thing for them.”
He also said we as a society need to focus more on creating strong families and instilling morality.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stolen property bust leads to five other drug arrests
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- New bill would prevent teens from accessing e-cigarettes
- City crews overwhelmed while on pothole patrol
- Firefighters fill truck with Christmas gifts for kids in DHS custody
- Alleged smash and grab burglar causes more damage to business than just stolen items
- OKC school board drops plan to stop sixth graders from going to Classen SAS
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area