Man caught on tape in high-heel heist | Crime
EDMOND, Okla. – High heels are generally viewed as a women’s accessory but one man in Edmond thought differently and it landed him in jail.
Surveillance video caught a suspect on camera in the act of shoplifting from the Super Target at 2nd St. and Bryant in Edmond.
He then walked around the store for a while in the shoes.
But as soon as he tried to leave, loss prevention officers jumped into action and 18-year-old Sylas Schmiedel was arrested.
When questioned, Schmiedel told officers he was stealing the shoes because he was going to use them for a drag show.
Kourtney and Joseph Palmer frequently go shopping at the Super Target.
“I just think it’s weird,” Kourtney said. “Especially a guy walking out with high heels on.”
“I mean, it’s not something you see every day.” Joseph said.
While this case may seem a little odd, Edmond police said this one incident points to an even bigger problem they have.
In 2012 alone, police responded to almost 1,000 thefts, that’s almost three a day!
With the tight security most stores have in place though, authorities said it’s almost silly for people to try to shoplift.
“It makes you wonder what all they’ve seen and what they actually have,” Joseph said.
Kourtney said, “It makes me nervous.”
As for the high-heel hijacker, maybe next time he can just use a coupon.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stolen property bust leads to five other drug arrests
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- OKC school board drops plan to stop sixth graders from going to Classen SAS
- Gas shut off after leak evacuated businesses, closed streets near N.W. 10th St. and Robinson
- Woman arrested after allegedly singing loudly, attacking father
- Missing man found in cow pasture now in critical condition
- Best ways to protect your car from rust, paint damage caused by road salt
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed