Fuel thieves target construction sites | Crime
EDMOND, Okla. – There are signs warning intruders of hidden surveillance and locking gas caps and iron chains all over.
But nothing has been able to stop diesel fuel bandits.
“Multiple times his tanks have been drained,” Edmond Police Spokesman Jenny Monroe said. “He put up signs and cameras to make sure people knew they were on camera. He even made sure on the weekends there wasn’t a large amount of fuel in the tanks.”
Most recently, Justin Gallion positioned his giant tractors around the refueling station.
He told us, “We’ve put locks on everything, circled the wagons around the equipment where they can’t get the fuel. They moved the equipment to get to the fuel.”
Gallion returned to this work site to find his John Deere tractor had been moved, exposing the refueling tank.
This time alone, crooks siphoned 400 gallons.
“That’s our bread and butter, what moves the material,” Gallion said. ”We gotta keep them going. We need to keep fuel in them to keep them going.”
Gallion Excavating is clearing the land at I-35 and Covell for a hotel and conference center but his heavy equipment has been halted repeatedly because of fuel theft.
He said 1,200 gallons since December.
According to Mr. Gallion, “$3.45 a gallon, it adds up pretty quick. We’d like to offer a reward for information leading to the person who did it.”
He hopes money talks when it comes to catching the diesel fuel thieves.
Thieves who’ve apparently been busy targeting contractors all across the metro.
Gallion said, “We work hard and try to pay our bills. They need to do their part too.”
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- OKC man dies after being attacked with bat at softball game, two arrested
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- Run to Remember, marathon runners remember why OKC runs
- After a cold training season, marathon runners ready for Memorial Marathon
- UPDATE: Crews open I-240 eastbound at I-35
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder