Edmond women warning others after pricey purse pilfering | Crime
EDMOND, Okla – What began as a night of playoff basketball with friends turned into a real nightmare for Maggie Beasley.
Beasley said, “I was sitting there, having a burger at The Garage in Edmond and having a good time watching the game.”
While Maggie’s attention was focused on the big screen and burger, someone was pilfering her purse.
“It happened in an instant,” she said. “I didn’t even notice. I felt like it was my fault. It probably was because it was on the back of my chair.”
Edmond police are investigating several cases where purses are stolen while the victims were distracted.
The culprits embark on an immediate shopping spree before the credit cards can be deactivated.
Police spokesperson Jenny Monroe said, “The purse is open, on the back of the chair, they walk by, grab the wallet and keep walking. Nobody notices anything.”
Maggie noticed the next day, after $3,500 in charges appeared on her credit cards.
Police would like to talk to two women who were caught on surveillance video using the cards at Lowe’s and Target in Edmond.
The spending spree started less than 10 minutes after the theft.
“It’s just a terrible feeling,” Beasley said. “I do want them to get caught and I don’t want it to happen to anyone else. It was terrible.”
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Heading downtown for the game tonight? Here are the routes to avoid:
- Police warning residents, businesses of alleged “fence cutter” still on the run
- OKC police warn parents after possible attempted abduction of student
- Lanes back open after car rolls near I-240 and I-40 bridge, injuries unknown
- Residents ticketed for parking on their own property