What’s Right with Our Schools: Ida Freeman | Education
Title (Max 100 Characters)
EDMOND, Okla. – So many good things are happening in our schools.
This week we and Randall Reed Ford are taking you to one elementary school where students are playing a classic game and through it, learning valuable life lessons.
At Edmond’s Ida Freeman, students play a lot of games.
The games here are more than fun, they are often intense chess matches.
Teacher David Nichols said he knows the lessons he is teaching them will apply in and out of the classroom.
He is intensely focused on helping the children succeed, teaching them strategies, and more importantly, how to think for themselves.
Principal Brenda McDonald said the chess club is just one of their several successful programs.
This chess club recently took first place in the state chess competition in grades kindergarten through 4th grade.
Have a school you think should be honored with Randall Reed Ford’s What’s Right with Our Schools?
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel