House fires could abound during cold temps | Families
With two weeks until Christmas, Oklahomans are now feeling the frigid temperatures of December. Officials with the Oklahoma Insurance Commission say the colder weather could have you cranking up the heater, which puts you at a greater risk for a house fire.
Proper maintenance for your heating system is the best way to make sure your home is ready for the winter weather.
Last year, insurance companies paid out over $90 million in claims for fire-related damages.
The Oklahoma City Fire Department has a few tips to help protect your family and your property as you turn up the heat.
- Keep flammable objects away from furnaces, fireplaces and other heating units.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter and clean entire furnace area to remove debris.
- Have heating units inspected by a licensed contractor.
- Clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- Before going to bed at night, check that fires are completely out and space heaters have proper ventilation.
- Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working properly. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, get one.
- Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home. Place them in a metal container outside and well away from the house.
- Never use a range or an oven as a supplemental heating device. Not only is it a safety hazard, it can be a source of potentially toxic fumes.
- If you use an electric heater, be sure not to overload the circuit. Only use extension cords which have the necessary rating to carry the amp load. TIP: Choose an extension cord the same size or larger than the appliance electrical cord.
Many fire department offer free smoke detectors, batteries and installation to residents who ask.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stolen property bust leads to five other drug arrests
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- EMSA urging safety for kids sledding in record low temperatures
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes