Edmond woman accused of drowning her own dog | News
EDMOND, Okla. – An Edmond woman is arrested following an unusual case of animal cruelty.
The 25-year-old suspect is accused of drowning her own dog.
Police said the woman has a history of mental illness and made some alarming claims before admitting what she did.
“She did admit to us eventually that she had drowned the dog,” Edmond police spokesperson Jennifer Monroe said.
Police said the suspect told neighbors her mother had molested the dog.
Elliott then sent the father a text that read, “Go outside and walk around the corner of the house in the back.”
That’s where officers found the dead dog.
“She made some accusations of things happening to the dog and thought it was the best way to put the dog out of its misery. Those are her words,” Monroe said.
Police came to the suspect’s apartment and arrested her without incident.
The suspect’s family told police Elliott is a paranoid schizophrenic with a long history of mental illness and run ins with police, though never for such a violent crime.
“This is the first time dealing with her mental issues it’s gone this far, so it’s a big concern,” Monroe said. “Hopefully we can get her the help she needs.”
The suspect has been booked into the Oklahoma County jail accused of animal cruelty.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel