Edmond hospital delays opening due to storm damage | News
EDMOND, Okla.– Officials behind a multi-specialty hospital that was set to open are now scrambling to fix damage that was left behind by Mother Nature in May.
The Mercy Edmond I-35 Surgery & Fitness Center was scheduled to open Monday.
After assessing the damage caused by the May 19 tornado, officials are pushing back the grand opening until late summer of 2014.
The 206,000-square-foot building suffered a lot of damage to the structure, roof, windows, ceilings, floors and interior walls when a twister came through earlier this year.
The Mercy Edmond I-35 administration says they’re disappointed about the delay but say they are working to protect their employees during this time.
In a statement, hospital officials said, “From the moment we realized the opening would be delayed, we all agreed we would stand by our commitments to employing Mercy Edmond I-35 co-workers throughout the recovery.”
Many health care providers have been relocated to dozens of existing Mercy facilities in the Edmond area to serve patients.
We’re told several people have already purchased memberships to the fitness center.
Officials say they will be contacting the members individually to discuss fitness opportunities elsewhere until the facility is able to open.
Those members may talk to hospital administrators by calling 1-855-445-5677 or visiting Mercy’s website.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel