Man charged with pretending to be a firefighter, collecting donations | News
EDMOND, OK — An Edmond man is behind bars after officials say he impersonated a firefighter.
And officials say this wasn’t the first time.
Authorities say 24-year-old David Rester is no stranger to the Edmond Police Department.
Jenny Monroe, with Edmond Police Department, says, “He was just kind of hanging out in the same area, same story over and over and so, finally, people started calling us with him. We’ve responded multiple times and we’ve gotten to the point where we’ve arrested him several times for public intoxication and several times for this soliciting scam that he has.”
Police claim Rester has a system and an answer for everything.
Authorities say he has told victims that he is a firefighter or a landscaper but always uses the same story.
“He’s approaching people within our city limits asking for money or a ride,” says Monroe. “His story is pretty consistent in that he says he’s a firefighter and that he has a family member that he needs to get back to Tulsa and will ask for a ride that way.”
Police say Rester has been caught with the same scam by the OU Police Department, the Oklahoma Christian Police Department and Oklahoma City police.
Christine Alvey lives in one of the neighborhoods allegedly frequented by Rester and has seen him multiple times.
She was shocked by his latest story.
“Really! So he was trying to get money? Wow, well that’s not surprising,” says Alvey. “That’s a shame though.”
Alvey also said she’s seen Rester get in the cars of at least two strangers, possibly trying to get that ride to Tulsa.
David Rester has been charged with one count of false impersonation of a public official.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- One injured in Guthrie school bus accident; no children on board
- Body discovered in north OKC, man likely died of exposure
- Will Rogers: Passengers dealing with some delays, cancellations are expected on Friday
- Get dogs in Christmas spirit Bark for Life photos with Frosty
- Police searching for armed suspect accused of holding up adult novelty store
- Council approves additional funds for MAPS 3 sidewalks
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes