I-44, I-235 interchange to undergo major construction | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- More work is set to begin Monday evening on one of Oklahoma City’s busiest interchanges.
It is part of the ongoing project to widen and update the I-44 and I-235 interchange.
This is the second phase of the project.
Last summer, the first phase was completed with the new southbound ramp onto westbound I-44.
During the daytime, crews say there will be very little work being done.
Monday evening, construction will begin on the new southbound exit, off of I-44 that leads onto I-235.
However, there will be one lane along I-44 eastbound that will be closed throughout the project.
Officials with the Department of Transportation say it will be a longer ramp and will flow cars near N.E. 50th St., alleviating traffic problems.
Cole Hackett, with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, said, “It’s definitely needed. Anyone that drives that area knows that the projects, there’s a big need for it. The good thing about it is as you drive the area, you see the new ramps that we’re going to be doing. You’ll be able to get off both interstates earlier and have longer to merge, be able to go without having that weaving movement that has caused a lot of backups.”
Work will also be done on the westbound I-44 ramp, onto north I-235.
That ramp will be closed at night throughout the month of August.
The current southbound ramp will also be closed at night for about a week, from 8 p.m. through 6 a.m.
For a complete list of daily closure information, visit ODOT’s website.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Memorial runner runs to remember family member lost in bombing
- You won’t believe what a man was driving during a high speed chase
- Protesters gather for “victory” celebration after controversial politician a no-show at graduation
- OKC man dies after attack with baseball bat, alleged suspect claims self-defense
- Two women with Oklahoma ties make list of world’s “Most Influential People”
- UPDATE: Everyone accounted for following massive house fire, investigation continues
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan