I-44, I-235 interchange to undergo major construction | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- More work is set to begin Monday evening on one of Oklahoma City’s busiest interchanges.
It is part of the ongoing project to widen and update the I-44 and I-235 interchange.
This is the second phase of the project.
Last summer, the first phase was completed with the new southbound ramp onto westbound I-44.
During the daytime, crews say there will be very little work being done.
Monday evening, construction will begin on the new southbound exit, off of I-44 that leads onto I-235.
However, there will be one lane along I-44 eastbound that will be closed throughout the project.
Officials with the Department of Transportation say it will be a longer ramp and will flow cars near N.E. 50th St., alleviating traffic problems.
Cole Hackett, with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, said, “It’s definitely needed. Anyone that drives that area knows that the projects, there’s a big need for it. The good thing about it is as you drive the area, you see the new ramps that we’re going to be doing. You’ll be able to get off both interstates earlier and have longer to merge, be able to go without having that weaving movement that has caused a lot of backups.”
Work will also be done on the westbound I-44 ramp, onto north I-235.
That ramp will be closed at night throughout the month of August.
The current southbound ramp will also be closed at night for about a week, from 8 p.m. through 6 a.m.
For a complete list of daily closure information, visit ODOT’s website.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel