Man faces charges for forced haircut on teen | News
EDMOND, Okla. – The Oklahoma County District Attorney is working to prosecute an 18-year-old who police say attacked a child near a creek.
Walking past the creek that sits near N.E. 2nd St. and Coltrane Rd. in Edmond, it seems peaceful. The occasional child rides past on a bike, but it wasn’t so serene on June 12.
That’s the day police say Malacai Martinez held a 14-year-old boy down in a bear hug position while another boy held a knife to the victim’s head.
Police won’t release the name of the child with the knife because he is not an adult, but police say he used the weapon to cut off a portion of the victim’s hair.
“It makes me scared,” said Kimberly Peterson. “My heart is just racing thinking about it.”
Peterson lives near the creek and says she sees teens walk down to the water in the evening hours. However, those familiar with the creek like Daniel Dorety, say it’s not safe.
“It’s kind of a barren place,” said Dorety. “Not much to do back there… a bunch of cliffs.”
This isn’t the first time police say Martinez has threatened someone in this barren place. According to the police report, the 18-year-old threatened to cut off a girl’s swim suit with the same knife used to cut the first victim’s hair.
“I have a nine-year-old. So it’s disconcerting to me to know that people are back behind my house,” said Peterson.
She says her only relief comes from knowing police are now aware of what’s happening by the water.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel