8-year old + Kevin Durant + big heart = help for Oklahomans | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- The Kevin Durant Charity Foundation receives a donation from an unlikely source.
Jay Fair, an 8 year old from Rowlett, Texas, decided instead of birthday presents this year he was going to collect brand-new shoes for children affected by the Oklahoma May tornadoes.
“I follow severe weather constantly and have always wanted to be a storm chaser when I grow up,” Fair said. ” I’m also really into sports so when I heard Kevin Durant made a $1 million donation to the American Red Cross to help the victims, it got me thinking I could do something too.”
Fair then wrote letters asking friends and family to collect shoes instead of buying him birthday presents.
He felt the children in Moore needed the shoes.
Last week, Fair attended the Kevin Durant Basketball Camp in Oklahoma, where he not only got to meet Durant in-person and practice the fundamentals of the game, but also made the official donation of 82 pairs of shoes to the foundation.
“In a world so obsessed with the material and superficial, we at the KDCF, could not be more inspired by and proud of Jay, an 8 year old, who just reminded the world by his act of selflessness and compassion, that one person truly can make a positive difference in the lives of others,” said Emmanuel Bailey, president of the board of directors for the Kevin Durant Charity Foundation.
“What a cool little kid with a big heart,” Durant said. “Jay is an inspiration to us all.”
The shoes will be distributed to organizations demonstrating a need.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Water in Oklahoma town leaves a bad taste behind, reminds residents of ‘lake bottom’
- Gov. Fallin asks president to use executive order to approve Keystone Pipeline
- Two state bills aim to keep the movie cameras rolling in Oklahoma
- BLOOPER: Llama finds best friend in KFOR photographer
- Rocking and rolling: How to prevent earthquake damage at your home
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel