Hail causes Edmond hotel fire | News
EDMOND, Okla. — Something smaller than a golf ball sparked a major fire that destroyed an Edmond hotel.
Officials said a piece of hail hit a neon sign at the Stratford House Inn, which caused a small fire early Wednesday morning.
An employee was able to put out the flames but it re-ignited.
When firefighters arrived at the hotel off Broadway and 33rd St., flames were shooting through the roof.
“Here in Edmond we see a lot of fires due to lightning,” Kelly Lewis said, Edmond Fire Department. “That’s a very common cause so everybody I talked to today says, ‘Oh was it another lightning strike?’”
The severe weather may have also played a role in a fire at the Red Rock Canyon Grill near Lake Hefner Wednesday morning.
Firefighters can’t say for sure but lightning may have started the fire.