More than 3,600 US Youth Soccer players descend on Edmond | Soccer
Title (Max 100 Characters)
EDMOND, OK — Nearly 200 teams vie for a 2013 US Youth Soccer Region III Championship title. The games kick off at 8:00 am on Friday, June 21st.
Teams, parents, referees, tournament officials and volunteers gathered at Wantland Stadium Thursday for the opening ceremony, which kicked off the 2013 US Youth Soccer Region III (South) Championships, presented by the National Guard. Preliminary games will be at ESC Complex on Danforth Road in Edmond, Okla.
Edmond’s assistant city manager, Steve Commons, was in attendance at the opening ceremony, and he said the city is excited to host many talented players who will be competing in the Region III Championships for the next week.
“On behalf of the mayor and the city council of Edmond, it is my pleasure to welcome you to our community,” Commons said. “The mayor and the council plan to visit the teams while they’re in action at the fields. Edmond, Oklahoma City and the Central Oklahoma Region are very proud to be able to host this event.”
Returning to regional competition this year are four defending US Youth Soccer Region III Champions: Sunrise Elite 97/98 (FL)
Tennessee SC 16 (TN),
Sting 97 (TX-N)
CESA 95 Premier (SC).
Here is a list of the 2012 US Youth Soccer Region III Champions (Age groups from last year)
*Returning 2012 Champions
Under-13 NASA 17 Elite (GA)
Under-14 TNFC 98 Azzurri (TN)*
Under-15 Sting 97 (TX-N)*
Under-16 CESA 95 Premier (SC)
Under-17 CESA 94 Premier (SC)
Under-18 Brentwood 94 Premier (TN)
Under-19 CCSC SOL (FL)
Under-13 Dallas Texans (TX-N)
Under-14 Sunrise Elite 97/98 (FL)*
Under-15 SAA Real Madrid Miami (FL)
Under-16 CESA 95 Premier (SC)*
Under-17 Solar Chelsea 95 (TX-N)
Under-18 Florida Rush Nike (FL)
Under-19 GSA 93 Phoenix Red (GA)
Nearly 200 of the top US Youth Soccer boys and girls teams from the 12 State Associations that make up US Youth Soccer Region III will compete for the 2013 regional title. Preliminary games will be held June 21st – 23rd with quarterfinals, semifinals and finals June 24th – 27th. All games will be played at the ESC Soccer Complex in Edmond, Okla.
Regional winners of the Under-13 through Under-19 age groups earn a berth to the 2013 US Youth Soccer National Championships, which will be played July 22-28 at Overland Park Soccer Complex in Overland Park, Kan.
The US Youth Soccer National Championships will consist of US Youth Soccer Regional Champions in the Under-13 through Under-19 Boys and Girls age groups, as well as the US Youth Soccer National League qualifiers in the Under-15 through Under-18 Boys and Girls age groups to complete the field of 88 teams.
Follow the moments from the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series on Twitter and share the moments on Facebook and Instagram.
About the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series:
The US Youth Soccer National Championship Series provides more than 10,000 teams from US Youth Soccer’s 55 State Associations the opportunity to showcase their abilities against the best in the nation while emphasizing teamwork, discipline and fair play. The yearlong competition begins with over 185,000 players in the US Youth Soccer State Championships.
These champions and selected wildcard teams, through US Youth Soccer Regional Leagues, advance to compete in one of four US Youth Soccer Regional Championships. Champions (U-13 through U-19) from each regional event advance to the US Youth Soccer National Championships. The Under-15 through Under-18 Boys and Girls age groups have four teams representing the US Youth Soccer National League, in which the top two teams in each gender age group division earn a direct path to the National Championships.
Overall, the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series provides the nation’s top collegiate coaches with the premier stage to identify and scout the most coveted players in the country. For more information, visit here.
Upcoming Events near Edmond
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stolen property bust leads to five other drug arrests
- GPS leads police to $100,000 worth of stolen property
- 100 Langston students locked out of dorms for failing to pay, complete financial aid
- Man due in court after confessing to murdering pregnant woman
- 15-year-old Coyle student dies after being diagnosed with meningitis
- Footprints in snow lead deputies to Oklahoma City Christmas capers, granola Grinches
- Police investigate Capitol Hill teacher accused of sexual misconduct, no arrests have been made
- Winter weather still affecting flights at Will Rogers World Airport; Runways open but check flights before going
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes